Job Title: Tourism Project Lead
Reports to: CEO
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Duration: 1 April 2023 – 31 August 2024
Submit application here: https://forms.office.com/r/7bPhKj0sNT
Closing date: 20 March 2023
The SADC Business Council (SADC BC) is a regional apex body of national business associations of the 16 SADC member states and 6 regional business associations in Southern Africa. It is mandated by the private sector to be its prime partner in influencing high level policy making.
The SADC BC works closely with the SADC Secretariat, national and regional sector bodies, governments, regional economic communities, multilateral groups, and the business community to improve the region’s trade and investment climate.
The main role of the SADC BC is to drive the implementation of SADC plans and priority programmes and to promote knowledge and information sharing between SADC and the private sector. It also aims to channel private sector expertise, experience, viewpoints, and perspectives into the SADC policy making processes.
The tourism sector is one of the fastest growing sectors amongst the SADC member States and is an important foreign exchange earner. It is also one of the largest employers directly or indirectly. The capacity of the tourism sector to generate further employment in the future is substantial.
It is recognized that unless SADC adopts and implements regional tourism policies that promote and prioritise collaboration among its member states, it is likely to continue struggling to attract tourists from other destinations around the world. One such essential policy is the creation of a regional tourism platform for the private sector to fill the gap.
The job title is Project Lead of the SADC BC Tourism Project. The person in this role will be directly responsible to CEO of the NEPAD Business Foundation.
COMMENCEMENT DATE & CONTRACT PERIOD
The job will be available from 1 April 2023 until 31 August 2024.
FUNCTION AND PURPOSE:
The SADC BC Tourism project must complete the following activities:
• Support the establishment of a SADC Tourism Private Sector Forum as per the SADC Tourism Programme including:
o Implementing the strategy, work plan and business plan
o Mobilising key stakeholders
o Driving agenda on topical matters (e.g. standardised covid policy for SADC, Timely availability of VISAs, joint marketing to overseas and domestic travelers, Air access programme connecting small/unique destinations)
o Resource mobilisation
• Conduct online demo sessions/workshops with appointed Member State representatives and relevant tourism bodies to demo the Traveler App and advocate for adoption and take up
• Support the analyses of SADC tourism training needs and training of tourism staff on tourism
• Support the implementation of guidelines on minimum standards at 2 SADC border posts
• Improve and defend the regional tourism reputation image by arranging 2 train the trainer workshop for action group members and other relevant representatives of tourism organisations
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Providing ongoing support for the project by managing relationships with platform members, project partners and financiers,
• ensuring timely completion of the activities outlined above, in an efficient manner and to the satisfaction of both the Secretariate and the funders,
• ensuring timely and effective reporting and communication,
• ensuring timely and resource efficient implementation and project planning,
• manage and provide guidance to Secretariate and NBF staff insofar as it relates to this project,
• ensuring that the project runs within budget and assisting with detailed financial forecasts,
• identifying and obtaining additional funding to enable and increase in the scope and possible duration outside of the GIZ funding,
• complying with the procurement, reporting and governance protocols of the SADC BC and by extension, the NBF as well.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
The following are required:
• A degree or equivalent equivalent in business administration, international development cooperation or related.
• Fluent in English. French or Portuguese would be an advantage.
• Good analytical and organisational skills.
• Good stakeholder relationship management skills.
• The ability to close out on actions satisfactorily.
The following are required:
• A minimum of relevant work experience, including in support of private sector organisations.
• Experience of working in multicultural contexts particularly in the SADC region
• Knowledge of the working of governments in the SADC region
• Experience in the setting up, development and organisation of private sector umbrella organisations
• Knowledge of SADC vision and agenda, especially as they relate to tourism
• Familiarity with SADC tourism industry, its stakeholders, legislative matters, opportunities and threats.
Please submit your application on this link – https://forms.office.com/r/7bPhKj0sNT